Monday, July 6, 2009

Weekend Recap -- The Future belongs to Crowds

On the national circuit two horses emerged over the weekend at Hollywood Park: Gozzip Girl took the American Oaks drawing off strongly under Sleepy Desormeaux and Zensational zipped through 7 furlongs to capture the Triple Ben. At Arlington the fireworks extravaganza held small fields and huge crowds. And just think it wasn't long ago I was at Hawthorne where the horses almost outnumber the cars in the parking lot.

I was hoping the pools would be skewed toward sucker horses, but the faves won more than lost and there was only one longshot -- from a Maiden claiming race. Maybe Don DeLillo was on to something when starting his excellent novel Mao II with the line: The future belongs to crowds.

So I had two winners, three if you count Southern Anthem. If only I had 10k hanging around. I would have claimed Go Bucky Go who notched his fourth in a row, just toying with this weak 10k field. I would have had to win the shake against Scott Mullins who got to ride Bucky home.

A lot of great races on the docket next weekend. I'll be in California vacationing, but will give the lowdown on Thursday of horses to look out for.

No comments:

Post a Comment