Monday, November 30, 2009

9: I Want Revenge Takes the Wood Memorial



With the smiley 19-year-old Joe Talamo on his back, I Want Revenge proved a dominant dirt horse even through adverse conditions. Flat-footed at the break, Talamo rode chilly, swooped back into contention then grabbed the wire as if all the other horses were bit players in the Revenge drama.

After a couple punchless Pro Ride performances, IWR's somewhat infamous (at least in NY) connections, under the advice of Talamo, shipped east for the Gotham and Wood and gave the sputtering New York circuit a jolt. Unfortunately the big dream was short-circuited when, as Morning Line favorite of the Kentucky Derby, I Want Revenge was scratched due to an injury, which may have occured in the Wood.

2 comments:

  1. Will Amazon be selling the coffee table book of all ten watercolors (once they're finished)??? Sign me up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reminding me.

    I Want Revenge ran his heart out after that terrible start at the gate. He must have been aching throughout. No wonder he didn't make it into the gate on Derby Day.

    ReplyDelete