Friday, December 10, 2010

Hawthorne Happnins

Tomorrow is the Jim Edgar Futurity. Yes, our shrewd, former governor actively supports the horsemen of Illinois, even has a small string. I imagine if our current governor Quinn allows slots at the track, he too will have a stakes race named after him. But enough about politics. I've speedcapped the races for Saturday and have some picks for all my fans out there. If anyone was playing today, it was wise to go with the longshots. My picks envision a more formful afternoon at the oval. I'm gonna key the Kitten horse in the Futurity. How nice of Catalano to involve the Ramsey family in the Hawthorne fold. It's all about family there. Let's get to the picks:

Race 6 Mdn 24k:
I like Jamie Ness's first-timer 8 Mastman. I've always liked Mizzen Mast colts, and this 2YO looks like he could be ready at first asking. This barn isn't great with first timers but I like the outside draw, and if he can track my second choice 10 Lost Forty, and pounce like his poppa, then he should get his picture taken. Lost Forty keeps improving and has raced against nice fields. He could wire if the track is playing to speed, but he really should have won last. 

Race 7 Edgar Futurity:
2 Next Kitten has shown grit in all his races and like many Kittens closes nicely; however there isn't much speed. There also isn't a tremendous amount of quality; however there are three others that I'll put below the kitten in a keyed tri box. Those fellows are 10 Table Games from the connections that brougt us Giant Oak, 9 Domain's Rap from the Becker barn looks to be one of the few with good tactical speed and 3 Forbidden Forest. Give a closer look into the Forest if Lost Forty does well in the previous race. He's always been in contention and I suspect Thorton to start heating up.

Race 8 5k:
The Catrman sends up another chalky entry in Wistful Smile. You won't get much value, but there's a good longshot to place under him, maybe even box if you're feelin lucky. That horse is Southern Mudd, who loves the dirt at Hawthorne.

Best of luck on Edgar day.

3 comments:

  1. I really like the visual for this latest post. Sort of Joe-Brainard-meets-Nicolaides.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I count on that when delivering picks -- ensures I'm delivering the value railfans have come to expect.

    Looks like the betting public also liked Mastman, but the jock went easy on him, keeping him away from the rail and out of trouble on a dangerous track.

    Can't say the same for Maxton in the Futurity who jostled a bit with Next Kitten at the top of the stretch and had to be put down on the track after shattering his seismoids. I'm still upset about this and would like to know what the stewards made of the ride given to Maxon by Eddie Perez. I didn't get a good enough look to pass judgment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I concur. The visual is awesome. I find myself encountering it now and again. Feliz Navidad!

    ReplyDelete