Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Flashback


It's still too early for me, but with the three day weekend I thought I'd get started on my Derby horses. Flashback is the opposite of battle-tested, but he's looked flawless. I was hoping that with the new point system there would somehow be a way to force the big stables to meet more along the trail, maybe Arkansas or Louisiana. But that has happened much lately, though the Risen Star could be a nice proxy war.

Post San Felipe
Flashback never got settled after Leparoux fought him early to make sure he didn't get boxed in. He locked eyeballs with Goldencents and the Felipe turned into an inferno. Hear the Ghost was able to snatch victory in the end. Giving Nakatani another shot at winning the elusive American Classic.

So what does this mean for Flashback? Very hard to tell. I go back and forth on whether or not I should trust a horse that tires at a mile and a sixteenth. My inclination is that it's not good at all, but we get to see if he can rebound in his final prep. He will need to take a big step forward -- both he and Leparoux.

No comments:

Post a Comment